What's the Difference between being Obese and being Overweight?
- Obesity refers to an excess amount of body fats while being overweight refers to an excess amount of body weight that may come from muscles, bones, fats and water. These two weight problems are not contagious disease, but they are becoming prevalent in the US
Why is obesity a serious case in America?
- Figures can tell why. In 2009-2010, 35.7% of US total adultsí population (aged 20 and older) is obese. From 2007 to 2010, there is no change in the prevalence of obesity among adults or children in the US for both men and women.
- A study shows that more than 1/3 of total number of adults and nearly 17% of youth are obese. Elderly aged 60 and over are more probable to be an obese than younger adults and even children as young as 2 years old can be a sufferer of the above said issue.
Three main reasons why obesity must not be ignored:
- Health factors. Obesity and overweight is not a virus but this condition may lead to various heart diseases, hypertension, stroke, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis, and certain types of cancer. These ailments are treatable although can also be a cause of death.
- Social factors. Obese people are more likely to be a victim of bullying and discrimination especially with children and young adults that are members of the large group of the same age bracket, such as schools. With this, their psychosocial well-being is highly affected.
- Economical factors. US government has been funding programs to mitigate childhood obesity, because of the increasing obesity rate. In 2006, the government spent $147 Billion for direct and indirect cost of preventing obesity. For more than 5 years of funding, the percentage of prevalence and obesity rate has not been not roughly dropped. Obese patients spend an average of $1,429 for their medical care compared to people with normal weight.
What are causes and treatments for obesity?
- Genes, eating habits, way of living, place, attitudes, and income are some of the causes of obesity and being overweight. Treatments may include a mix of behavioral treatment, diet, exercise and some drugs for weight-loss. One more option is weight-loss surgery for cases of extreme obesity.
- Self-discipline and being conscious to health and wellness are two great factors you can do to prevent obesity.